Updated: Sep 28, 2021
1 (24-ounce) bone-in ribeye steak, 2-inch-thick, at room temperature
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, smashed
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1. Using paper towels, pat both sides of the steak dry; season generously with 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
2. Heat a medium cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, about 1-2 minutes; add canola oil.
3. Place the steak in the middle of the skillet and cook, turning every 2-3 minutes, until a dark crust has formed on both sides, about 12-14 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low.
5. Push steak to one side of the skillet; add butter, garlic, thyme, and rosemary to the opposite side of the skillet, tilting the skillet towards the butter and cooking until butter is foaming, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
6. Working carefully, spoon butter over steak for 1-2 minutes, turning over once, until it reaches an internal temperature of 120 degrees F for medium-rare, or until the desired doneness.
7. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
8. Serve immediately.
yield: 3-4 SERVINGS
Prep time: 25 MINUTES
Cook time: 20 MINUTES
Total time: 45 MINUTES