STICKY BEEF SHORT RIBS, SMASHED SPUDS AND HARVEST SLAW
Ideal recipe for a weekend gathering with the family for both special occasion or ordinary Sunday.
BEEF SHORT RIBS
1/4 cup sweet paprika (used pimentón de la vera)
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 kilogram flanked beef short ribs
1 cup water
2 tablespoon olive oil
3 slice white or brown onions
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup tomato sauce* (homemade is best)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce*
2 tablespoon Culley's hickory sauce* (this has just the right amount of heat, but any very smoky sauce will do)
1 kilogram small potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cooked ears corn (grilled mine on the barbecue for 2-3 minutes on each side)
8 radishes, finely sliced
1/4 iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced
1/2 cup good-quality store-bought mayonnaise*
juice 1 medium lemon, or to taste
Beef short ribs
1. Mix the first five ingredients together then generously rub into the beef on all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 3 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 160°C fanbake. Place beef in a shallow baking tray, pour the water into the tray and cover tightly with tinfoil. Bake in the oven for at least 3 hours or until meat easily pulls away from the bone. If there is a lot of liquid left, cook uncovered for a further 10-20 minutes to slightly brown the ribs.
3. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat and add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
4. Add remaining ingredients and a pinch of black pepper. Bring to a simmer then lower heat and simmer gently for at least 30 minutes until sauce has reduced and thickened. Set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 220°C fanbake. Spread potatoes out on a lined baking tray and sprinkle them with salt.
6. Bake in oven for around 40 minutes until tender when poked with a sharp knife. Remove from oven and, when cool enough to handle, squeeze and tear into 2-3 pieces. Set aside.
7. Thirty minutes before serving, heat oven to 230°C fanbake. Drizzle the olive oil over the smashed spuds, add another sprinkle of salt and bake for 10-15 minutes until the edges are beginning to brown and the
8. Slice off corn kernels and add to a bowl with radish, lettuce and cabbage.
9. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with sea salt (and pepper if you like), tasting as you go. Just before serving, add dressing to salad and toss thoroughly. To serve, cut ribs into portions and place on a serving platter or board. Re-warm the sticky sauce and pour over the ribs to cover. Serve with hot smashed spuds and harvest slaw on the side.